Role Purpose Statement
The Associate supports both the advisory and research arms of Busara by leading the planning, execution, and day to day management of Busara projects.
As primary project manager for all external Busara projects, an Associate quickly gains an expert understanding of a particular problem or research question and uses all tools at their disposal, both within and outside Busara to execute an engagement to the highest possible degree, with careful consideration of timing and budget. An Associate develops creative and rigorous solutions to client and partner needs and manages both internal and external relationships with energy, enthusiasm, and professionalism.
The Associate directly manages other project staff that work on their project and, as well as liaise with other Busara teams and is expected to coordinate and manage staff effectively.
CORE PROJECT RESPONSIBILITIES: Associates will work closely with Busara offices and directly with academic researchers and advisory clients to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Engage in multiple large-scale research and advisory projects at a given time.
- Plan, manage, and execute external and internal engagements independently from start to finish with limited supervision.
- Incorporate the latest research in qualitative and quantitative methods, behavioral science, psychology, economics, and development to provide creative solutions to engagements.
- Manage and conduct qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis.
- Design, launch, and analyze effective quantitative and qualitative survey instruments with coordination among project staff (Analysts, Project Leads, Data and Programming, and Operations teams).
- Serve as a point of contact for clients and partners. Effectively manage the needs of stakeholders through proactive communication and troubleshooting.
- Contribute to project on-boarding and off-boarding for knowledge management.
- Responsible for project timelines, deliverables, reports, and staffing.
- Contribute to the creation of proposals, concept notes, and pitch decks for new business opportunities and knowledge sharing. Present at conferences, networking events, or client meetings.
- Contribute to the design, execution, and dissemination of Busara internal research projects.
- Work closely to lead or support other Associates to fulfill engagement requirements.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the project supervisor.
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: In addition to project responsibilities, Associates also have the following organizational responsibilities to ensure a healthy and functioning organization.
- Work with the Associate team to conduct goal-setting exercises, objectives and key results, and team building events.
- Contribute to skills-building workshops for Associate teams.
- Assist with internal initiatives where necessary.
- Serve as mentors to Analysts and Project Lead team members, when requested.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience: Minimum Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Strong qualitative, quantitative, research, and data analytic skills.
- Fluency and excellent communication and writing skills in English and working proficiency in French is a must
- 1-3 years’ previous work experience in a related field, with experience managing large scale research and consulting projects in developing countries.
- Strong quantitative skills including knowledge of and experience working with data analysis software
- Ability to quickly understand and adapt to new contextual situations
- Demonstrates the ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations.
- Excellent management and organizational skill.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Ability to execute projects while sustaining a global focus and vision for institutional planning and decision making.
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, or related fields.
- Experience working with digital health systems, vaccination or public health or working with government ministries/government partners is preferred.
- Experience managing or mentoring staff.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials and/or quasi-experimental designs
- Technical understanding of qualitative research techniques.
- Strong academic behavioral science background.
- Knowledge of the application of behavioral science to real-world problems.
- Proficiency in Stata, R, or Python